How Can Pediatric Dentistry Help My Child?
Children are more than just small adults, especially when it comes to dentistry. Kids’ teeth, jaw bones, and mouth change significantly as they age, so the dental care children receive while young can affect their dental health later in life. Children are also at special risk for certain dental problems, such as cavities. Young people are also impressionable, so instilling good dental hygiene habits can help a child’s teeth last a lifetime.
Pediatric dentists like Leisure Dental’s own Dr. Haggerty have special training, techniques, and technologies that help improve the health and appearance of children’s teeth.
What Treatments Does Pediatric Dentistry Include?
Our pediatric dentist at Leisure Dental offers a variety of services and procedures that improve the oral health of the young patients he sees. These services and procedures include:
- Infant oral health exams, which include assessing a child’s risk for developing cavities
- Preventive dental care, such as professional dental cleaning, fluoride treatments, and even nutrition and diet recommendations to support dental health
- Habit counseling, which may include discussions of pacifier use and thumb sucking and their effects on dental health
- Early orthodontic evaluation and treatment for straightening teeth, or correcting an overbite or underbite
- Repair of tooth cavities, defects, and other dental problems
- Management of gum diseases, pediatric periodontal disease and other problems affecting young dental
- Diagnosis of oral problems associated with other conditions and diseases, such as asthma, hay fever, diabetes, and even attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Care for dental injuries, such as fractured, knocked-out or displaced teeth
How Do I Get Started?
For more information about pediatric dentistry, or to schedule an appointment for your child, contact Leisure Dental. Dr. Haggerty offers pediatric dentistry and other dental services to patients living in and around Norfolk, VA.